Monday, June 21, 2010

Rant On Dylan

I'm sick of people criticizing Dylan without even listening to the his albums. It doesn't make sense to bash an artist just because you don't like his or her new style of singing. Isn't there more to a song than just a voice? When I first started listening to Dylan I couldn't stand his gravelly voice. The first Dylan record I ever bought was World Gone Wrong. I was a junior in high school, and to say the least I hated it. I hated his voice. I didn't understand his guitar playing. I stopped listening. It wasn't until I got into college that started listening to that album again. I still didn't understand his singing, but I was floored by his picking styles. I've never heard anyone play like that. From then on I started getting my hands on other albums. And with each new record, I was always surprised with his music. Not the songs as songs, but his songs as musical pieces--instrumental, where lyrics aren't just lyrics to make a song, but a musical nonsense (if that makes sense). Whether he was playing with his band or by himself, his records were always musically brilliant. His lyrics and singing were always secondary for me. As good as his lyrics are, I know I would have never got engrossed in his albums if he and his bands played like shit.

(I started writing this before work, and now that I'm back home, it seems that I don't care anymore. It's been said a million times before. It doesn't matter. If you hate him, cool. If you like him, you should probably hate him.)


Dylan - Things Have Changed

Dylan doing what he does best--eating a cheeseburger.

No comments:

Post a Comment